Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Pre-Menstrual Sappy Post: For the Love of Boys




A Pre-Menstrual Sappy Post: For the Love of Boys

Our son, Cole melts my heart. I just have to brag about him here. He listens. He fears our threats. He is sensitive and sweet to others. He is kind to animals. The kid puts on clothes and doesn’t care, unlike his temperamental little sis, Patty, whose room looks like a pink, sparkly clothing tornado hit it. He wants to please us and usually does.

Cole and his friends play quietly and without much conflict. Pokemon cards are traded fairly, they take turns while navigating through semi-violent video games. When the light saber battles begin, there are blaring sound effects from their smiling mouths, and death scenes are dramatic and hilarious. If there is some sort of disagreement, it is resolved quickly, without tears or grudges. At times, testosterone levels increase, tempers flare and fade just as quickly as they emerged. Best buddies again in the blink of an eye.

He has become fiercely competitive on the soccer and baseball fields, often talking trash with competitors, and having to sit out. “They cheated!” is a common explanation why our team lost. Good sportsmanship has been a hot new concept in our home lately.

He still cuddles with his Daddy in the morning, just as he did as a baby, except his now 8 year old body stretches close to the length of mine. Cole and I share socks. I can tell when he’s worn mine because the bottom is charcoal black and holes appear.

He still lets me hug and kiss him in public and holds my hand when we are walking into camp. I can’t help but wonder how much longer I’ll have this pleasure until it becomes “not cool”. Oy, cry me a river just thinking about it. I will now go take a Midol, watch Steel Magnolias and wait for my “friend” to come so my hormones can chill out.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I totally understand how you feel about wondering how much time you have left before being "uncool". Mine are 8 and 10 and I know it's just a matter of time. Last night they both wanted me to snuggle them in bed.

I figure as long as I am the Queen of Guitar Hero, I'll still be really cool.

Alice said...

That was soo sweet. My BoyChild is about the same age and acts just like yours. He's pretty easy going and low maintenance. I dread the day when he doesn't want hugs anymore. : (

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Awww...he sounds like a sweetheart! I have two boys - 3 1/2 & 1. Found you through AllMediocre - loved your blog name! I'm a full-time workin' mama myself, so I can probably relate with a lot you write! I'll be back!

Mommy Always Wins

Sus said...

oh, I just positively love that you share socks. goose bumps all over. it just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Manager Mom said...

What a nice tribute to your son...he will enjoy reading that someday. Cole reminds me of my kid... and although I may roll my eyes the fiftieth time I have a light saber battle with him in one day, the more heartbreaking one will be when he stops asking.