Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I'm A Soccer Mom In Heels

Ok, so hence the name, Soccer Balls and Conference Calls, today will be the first theme related post. Yippee! I am exploding on where to even begin when I ponder upon the array of experiences that I have encountered as a working mom.

Throughout my 8 years of mom-hood, I have been working. Working full-time. I still don’t seem to have a handle on it. There are soccer balls rolling around in my back seat amongst the files and pens and maps. Inside my sales bag, I there are Pokemon cards, a few Lego pieces and a silver Barbie shoe at the bottom, along with photos of my kids, which I whip out throughout the day, to catch a glimpse of those precious smushy faces. These odd combinations of elements often pull me in several different directions both emotionally and physically.

As most moms, I am always rushing. Rushing to get the kids to school in the morning. Rushing to get to work. Rushing to pick up both kids from 2 different schools, attempting to get to soccer practice on time without forgetting the cleats, shin guards, a full menu of snacks, books, crayons, paper and a pink plastic Dora cell phone for Patty’s entertainment. I am standing on a soccer field with heels on. The other moms are comfy in flip flops. I am a fish out of water. Where are all the working moms? Could I be the only one working? No, not possible. I just need to find them. This will validate my insanity. Hopefully.

4 comments:

Alice said...

I'm guessing the working mom's are so busy that it leaves little time for blogging. I'm home all day and it still gets time consuming.

Pokemon cards? Do you play? I do now because of my son and actually enjoy it! I think I rank dead last in Maryland currently. LOL.

Elyse said...

WORKING mom here!!! I feel your pain, your joy, your love and your struggle to make two different lives as one!

Anonymous said...

FYI...I think you are a fantastic mom in high heels...I should know...I'm your sister.

M

Sus said...

funny - i stay home and all the moms I know are working moms! i haven't worn heels since my first kid was born, and i feel a little less of a woman because of it. so keep wearing them proudly even if they're sinking in the mud.