Monday, September 1, 2008

Stuff the Stuffed Animals



My purging tirade is still at its peak, and I can't blame pregnancy or PMS on this obsession. I have been cleaning out overflowing drawers and closets during the past few months, and I must say, I find it quite enjoyable, yet clearly understand that this translates into having no life whatsoever. I have accepted and embraced its connotations.


This time I targeted a collection of seemingly cute and cuddly stuffed animals, taking over Patty's bed. This child has been sleeping in the fetal position in order to accommodate her army of soft, synthetic, useless friends. Does she play with them during daylight hours? No. Does she cuddle with any of them while she slumbers? No. She does sleep with one mini-teddy bear, which fits snugly in the palm of her five year old hand, which she has named Hannah. I wonder what over-sensationalized tween pop-star she got that name from? Hannah can stay because she is teeny and won't cause Patty to have sciatica in her future.
I took a gander at the heaps of dust collectors just festering their airborne filth into my sweet daughter's pure lungs and knew I had to eliminate a majority of the little bastards. How did they trickle into our home? When did they accumulate to such a large number, a fleet numerous enough to defend a small country if given weapons? Baby gifts, birthday presents, souvenirs from business trips, winnings from the grimy, sleazy state fair.
When Patty was playing elsewhere, I quickly gathered up about half of the evil animals, and shoved them heartlessly into a suffocating garbage bag to donate them another home, where another overwhelmed mother will one day get sick of looking at their phony smiles, and quasi-puppy-dog eyes and stuff them into yet another garbage bag to pass them along once again. Break the cycle. Limit these useless stuffed animals. There. That's my Green message for the week.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

We're there, too. Even though I have boys. Between animals and legos, I may never see my floor again.

Soccer Mom In Heels said...

Melissa~

Yes, the legos are overflowing at our house as well. Cole builds them and leaves them...on the coffee table, on the kitchen counter, all over his dressers, we are running out of space. I'll have to post about it sometime soon!

Mommy Meryl said...

In addition to all the "baby" stuffed animals Allie has, we are not entering into the world of Webkinz and Girly Girlz. . .and if I told you the amount of time in a week that she plays with them, you would wonder why we allow these things to take up space in our house. If we could charge them rent, we would. ..I think we should just be able to buy the WEbkinz virtually and not keep collecting them. . .but that doesn't mean Allie doesn't squeal with delight at the top of her lungs with every new Webkinz. Then it just goes to the "resting pile" with the others. ..

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe Patty has that many stuffed animals. CRAZY!!! Did she notice that you had depleted the supply some?

Soccer Mom In Heels said...

Hey Southern girl,

No, she didn't even notice they were gone! I should have purged more. I really didn't even make a dent!

Anonymous said...

Amy.it's your pregnant cousin Eliza (not her real name) LOL! I just had dinner with your Dad and my mom last night and I finally got around to reading the blog! It's amazing! I've been writing a "diary of a first time preggo" blog for some friends for their amusement...thanks for making me laugh today! Work was tough today and I loved what you wrote. As a working-mom to be that HAS to work, it is so refreshing to see your viewpoint!
You go girl!
XO

Juicebox.mom said...

Mine is 12 and is finally agreeing to let go of most of her stuffed animals. What she doesn't know is that I purged 1000's of them over the past 8 years or so, and she never noticed.