Thursday, September 4, 2008

Working Mom Girl

Flashback to the 80’s, when Madonna was more meaty, and less religious, with no sign of a faux English accent. She donned the hot pink satin strapless gown and matching long gloves with oodles of sparkling diamonds, in her Material Girl video, a Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend takeoff. Got that image in your head? So, please sing along to the tune of Material Girl:

We are living in a stay at home mom world, and I am a working mom girl
You know that we are living in a stay at home mom world, and I am a working mom girl!
Ow, Ow, Ow!

These made up lyrics I sing (to myself of course) mostly every day. There is some small happening each day that reminds me that I am odd man out, or in this case, odd mom out.

Every morning, I drop off Cole and Patty at school, before I head to work. It is extremely hectic to get out the door in the morning, as most households with small children all across the globe are. Backpacks zipped. Water bottles filled. Snack packed. Lunch in backpack. Blue ice in lunch. Library books packed. Shoes tied. Teeth brushed. Hair brushed. Homework in folder, in backpack that is zipped. Name on homework.

Dishes on table from breakfast, washed. Flat iron unplugged. Lights off. Tatum’s bowl filled. Lap top. Cell phone. Headset. Bottled water. Mascara? No time.

We arrive at school and are greeted by various kids, moms, teachers. I walk each kid to their classrooms. Big smothering, wet, clingy kisses and hugs from Patty. Kind of a high five, but not too much contact from Cole.

The bell rings. The kids scurry. The moms are left. Moms begin to congregate to chat it up. I love this time since I get to feel like a “real mom”. The difference is the chatting time is limited for yours truly, because I need to get my butt to work. The stay at home moms get to stay and leisurely talk. For however long they want. One mom holds a coffee mug from home, not a travel mug with lid, but an open topped, porcelain, kitchen mug . As if this is a casual, easy morning ritual. Looking like the girl who overdressed for the party, I stand out amongst the casually, comfortably clad moms, the only one dressed to go to work.

How I long to stay and talk about the kids, school stuff, share funny stories, be leisurely. I want to be in this stay at home mom world, and I cannot. I do not live there. Cuz we are living in a stay at home mom world, and I am a working mom girl…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The good news is....we are working mom's and so many of these mom's have no idea what we do everyday. Don't know if they could survive. We are, however, WARRIORS!!! I am proud of you and proud of every working mom who does what we do...day in and day out, as if it is 2nd nature.

Mommy Meryl said...

Hey Amy - what a great post. . .its amazing, the working mom versus stay-at-home mom - no matter where you live, that always seems to create lots of conversation and such a huge gap between mommies. . .but its interesting, I have found that most of my friends and the moms I have come across at Allie's school work at least part time in some capacity. Fortunately, I'm able to pick Allie up from school and I do contract work, so I am able to volunteer in her classroom, but as with everything, there are trade-offs and there are not a lot of extras in our world because of the choice we have made of me not working full time. But yes, I know what you are saying when I see the Mommies with the "real" coffee cups hanging out schmoozing after school - while I can stay and chat a bit, I do always have a click ticking in the back of my mind telling me I need to run. . .

mom said...

I was a stay at home Mom for a few years..then I too became one of those chosen few..HIHO off to work I go. Must confess, I loved going to work and was maybe too much Work and less MOM than I should have been. Then I look at how great you and your sisters are and I guess it all shakes out. Grass is not always greener..ydadad Enjoy what you have and try not to wish what you don't. A waste of energy.You are a super Mom and a great wife..and most important a wonderful daughter. Keep on working it. Kisses MOM

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy, First of all, let me tell you that I loved reading your blog entries. I'm a SAHM and I often drop off with the ceramic "Basketball Mom" coffee mug, bunny slippers, whathaveyou. However, take solace my dear - often the morning drop off is the ONLY 18+ social interaction I get ALL DAY! I often long for the days of conference calls and lunch meetings, but for me, no happy medium exists (Daddy travels weekly for work and it's all Mommy.) Your mom is right (Hi C.!) the grass is always greener! Love, Beth U. (from the 1980's)