Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Transitions

HI~ I write this 90 minutes after coming home from being gone for 3 days. Like, OMG, what a totally dedicated blogger! I was in Colorado for a training session, which was quite interesting, I must say. I believe I am a training junkie. I love learning the new concepts and seeing old colleagues and meeting new ones and having a break from my usual routine. Work, kids, sleep, lather, rinse, repeat. It is good for my sanity to have a change of scenery, climate, people for just a short time. I feel invigorated and refreshed, ready to take on the world! A little brainwashing is healthy! I drank the Kool-Aid, I tell ya!

Miss Mary Sunshine mentality, still coursing through my brain cells, I hopped off the uneventful, ninety minute flight, grabbed my bag, which was one of the first off the chute, went outside to catch the shuttle bus to take me to the airport parking garage, which waited for me to cross in the cross walk and get on. My shuttle stop was the very first stop in the route, I gleefully hopped off and found my car immediately. I was humming "Zippity Doo Dah" as I climbed in my car, zipped home in 25 minutes. Home sweet home.

I couldn't wait to see the kids, of course, but I had a few things I couldn't wait to do when I walked in the door. I was really needing to remove my contacts that were like little slivers of glass, stuck to my now weary eyes from the recirculated airplane air and I had to go to the bathroom and ensure I did not get toxic shock. Food would have been high up on my list of wants vs needs at that moment as well.

But those needs on my immediate to do list were fleeting. The two seconds in the door were greeted with Cole bursting with happiness and pure joy to see me and show me everything that I had missed in 3 days. It was a giant, excited run on sentence of what his homework was and kickball stories and a presentation of a little apology note he had written to me because he had accidentally broken my little crystal snowflake on my desk. Oh, and his book report project is due Friday and we need to do it now. Right. Now. Like, let's do it this very second. Mom.

So, with my suitcase in the door barely, I was promptly gluing and cutting with my contacts blurring and the toxic shock risk rising and the tummy growling loudly. Game on. Back to mommyhood with no visible transition whatsoever. My training brainwashing fresh in my mind, it was a do-able transition this time, and a welcome one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freaking hilarious! I take it the training class went well. You will have to tell me all about it.

Sus said...

Someday when the kids are in college you'll come home from a not-so-inspirational training session in a not-so-inspirational city and be greeted by only the cat whisking by and barely noticing you... and then you must read this again. Promise. :)