Monday, August 4, 2008

Three Bitch Slaps

After a VERY stressful week at work, I have rollercoasted thru a series of emotions: exhaustion, weepiness, apathy and just plain overall bitchiness. I think I really need to enroll in the fantasy Mommy Camp.

A few times a year, I get a liiittttttle… irked that I have to work. Key words here are: HAVE TO. HAVE TO means there is no choice. Jerry feels overwhelmingly guilty that this is how it is. I insist that he should not feel guilty, it is NOT his fault that I multitask while complaining. I have witnessed many working moms that seamlessly and effortlessly can juggle ignited knives with a sincere smile all the while.

While in my vile, brooding funk this Monday morning, visiting various doctors’ offices, I was humbled, BIG TIME! I had 3 GIANT Bitch Slaps of “Get over it” that I desperately needed.

Bitch Slap #1
I saw a man in his 40’s, who was a dwarf, or I think the PC term is “little person”. He was in an electric wheelchair. His mother was waiting for him in the waiting room. She held the door open for him and asked, “You ready, Honey?” Honey. She still calls him “honey”. I then watched her lift his cumbersome electric wheelchair, which I am sure weighed a ton, into the back of her pickup.

Bitch Slap #2
Walking through a parking lot, I saw two men in their early 30’s, one was hooked up to an oxygen tank, very pale and emaciated. He had to be helped to take his slow, baby steps. They both briefly looked at me and halfway smiled.

Bitch Slap #3
Entering a waiting room, I glanced over at a weary looking mother, who was gripping onto her son’s arm, trying to keep him from fleeing the office. He had Down’s Syndrome and looked to be about 15 years old.

At that moment, I turned on my heel and threw myself back outside.
I actually said aloud, : GET THE F$#* OVER IT!!!
You HAVE TO work to help support your family… SO THE F#@^ WHAT?!?!?!
Your kids are healthy and happy (most of the time) and you just need to GET A GRIP!!! THAT’S IT!!!
You are DONE bitching and complaining!!!
Your life could be oceans worse, SO STOP IT!!!” (Yeah, you could be a crazy woman giving herself an obnoxiously loud pep talk in the middle of a courtyard)

So until the next episode of, “Waaa, boo hoo, I HAVE TO work, pity me!” I will be positive and grateful for all that I have thanks to the 3 much needed Bitch Slaps.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I totally get where you are coming from. I have a totally awesome life and yet I still bitch about stuff. And then I see stuff like that and I feel about two inches high. It reminds me to keep some perspective on things.

Anonymous said...

Funny how life has a way of setting you straight every now and then, huh?

mom said...

I am proud you turned yourself around..like the hokey pokey. you put yourself in and out...that's life. Some days you see the light and other days are dark .The bottom line is that you get to choose which side to see..you have a choice. A job is work..Not always fun ,but it pays the bills and lets you live a great life with a wonderful family.Look for the bright side..and be happy you are able to do what you do. kisses

Alice said...

I think we all have those moments. But the point is that WE realize all that we should be grateful for, unlike my neighbor who feels entitled to the world.

BoyChild was at Children's Hospital for 5 days once and I bitched about it. Until I saw the kids laying there and the nurses said some of them were there for MONTHS.

Bitch slap.

Sus said...

Thanks! I needed your vicarious bitch-slapping, too. Oh, poor little old me, I have to stay home with the two darling healthy children I have been blessed with while my husband takes a trip that means he won't be home for an AGONIZING 36 hours straight. Poor me. Geez, I am a real bitch.