Sunday, August 10, 2008

No More Preschool


I am gearing up for Patty's FIRST DAY OF KINDERGARTEN and Cole's first day of 3rd grade TOMORROW. As in, less than 12 hours...


The 3rd grade thing makes me a little heartache-ish. It was JUST Cole's first day of Kindergarten. Where did the time go? Now, he's in the BIG LEAGUES.


"BIG LEAGUES??? WHAT???? NOOOO!!!", you parents of older kids who are entering the first day of middle school or the first day of high school are thinking, mocking my over-dramatic sentimentality. I am quite aware that I can't compare a non-milestone grade like 3rd grade to these larger points in scholastic development, but I can't help myself. I have heard this is when the molly-coddling ends. In 3rd grade.


I know I will get at least a TEENY BIT of sympathy for Patty, MY BABY starting Kindergarten though. Right? Second kid, so what's the big deal, we've been through this before, when Cole started, so we know how it goes. That's the thing, we know how it goes.


All of the post-toddlers will shuffle their little bodies into the large, colorful, decorated foreign classroom hanging their brand new still cutesy character backpacks on the hooks in their cubbies. They will sit at their big kid desks, looking so innocent and small wearing their newly bought, special back-to-school outfits. Some kids will cry for their mommies, some will be so excited and wave goodbye easily. Cameras will flash, so we can forever remember this day. From our parental eyes, they seem too young to be at this BIG establishment. But here they are.


It's not like my kids haven't been in pre-school since they were 8 months old. It's not like I haven't been dropping them off EVERY DAY, YEAR ROUND TO preschool or camp! I just can't believe I now have 2 kids in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL! No more preschool. No more babies. Waaa. I am the baby here.



The school is offering coffee and danishes and Kleenex in the cafeteria immediately after drop-off. When I first heard this, I thought, "Oh, please!" Now, I think I'll be dropping by for some caffeine and some ugly crying.

4 comments:

mom said...

It seems like yesterday ..there you were in your best...so little and so excited. I must say, I still see you as my little girl..So, don't worry..cry alittle and then click your heels..a new chapter in your life..go you.go you.kisses

Sus said...

oh, I am so going to need coffee and danishes and kleenex when frannie starts preschool for real on WEDNESDAY. oh, my. Wednesday. I just keep telling myself that it just gets better and better. Right? Oh, and we could always have another baby. :)

Alice said...

I think we'll all be there for coffee and kleenex. My youngest is starting kindergarten this year too.

Boo hoo.

Anonymous said...

Why did I not know about the danishes? However, all I really cared for was a big 'ole Dr. Pepper. BTW, what is Molly Coddling?

I bet Patty did fine. Loved the pics you sent me of their 1st day. I took a picture of Steve and Nick for their 1st day, but I haven't looked at it yet.