Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Delusional Winter Break


I could not wait for Winter Break. Two weeks I had blocked off for vacation from work, so I could stay at home with Cole and Patty and pretend I was a Stay At Home Mom. I had it all planned out, I would bake them delicious blueberry muffins for breakfast, we would giggle while playing rounds of Candyland and Monopoly. Our days would be well planned, riding bikes to the park, creating crafty projects like making castles out of toilet paper rolls and baking cookies together.


Delusional? Oh yes.


My children commented that "these blueberry muffins taste REALLY bad...they are NOT like Bubbie's...", Candyland turned into a wrestling match on top of the kitchen table and my vocal chords are spent from screaming at my darling offspring. ALL. DAY. LONG.


Threats that "...and if you don't behave, I'm cancelling Chanukkah tonight..." hung in the air. Time out after time out and taking away TV time was becoming standard. Where was the Brady Bunch Break I so yearned for?


A few playdates, driving around looking at Christmas lights and cute family movies later, things have become more peaceful and quite wonderful for all of us.


Happy Holidays to All! xo


5 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Yes, I'd agree. My wife has gone nuts. The time I thought would be fun playing all the Wii games and all turned into hand to hand combat, and we also were big on the "We are cancelling Hanukkah!" threat.

One of them is in Safford right now with Grandma. So that's quieted things a bit.

Elyse said...

OMG___ i too took 2 1/2 weeks off of work to feel like the "perfect stay at home mother". What a mistake! it has been nothing but deciding who is right in the argument and telling the kids "try to work it out"
I thought i was the only one who threatened to cancel hanukkah! Thank g-d i am not the only one!
I have not left the house for 6 days due to being sick. i need a do over on my vacation!

Anonymous said...

Funny. That is what we get for pretenting to be SAHM. I am sooooooo not cut out for that. I miss you!

mom said...

You can't compete with a Bubbie muffin.So, don't even try. Wait till you have grandchildren...everything you do is perfect...Can you wait that long.?Think about when you were kids and I shared the same threats on you..apple doesn't fall far from the tree..The fighting will stop..of course, it will be another 20 years .So, hold on to your hat, and make memories that will last forever..I love you all..and let me tell you...life was not always this easy. kisses

Sus said...

Girl, welcome to my WORLD. Here's the problem: the grass is always greener. Glad you all managed to get down off the table. :) Happy New Year to you!