Saturday, November 15, 2008

Patty and I Walked in the JDRF 5K!

Patty taking a break at the JDRF walk...


Patty and I at the JDRF walk!


Hey everyone! I hope all is well with you all. It seems like November is slipping by way too quickly. I have been meaning to post this monumentally important one, but of course, it seems that there are often so many superfluous obstacles that get in the way like, well, work obligations and my continued obsession with HGTV that prevent me from posting. The usual excuses, right? I should be ashamed of myself.

It’s not that I haven’t been bragging about my daughter, Patty to everyone with human ears over the last few weeks. I have. OH, I have. Quite annoyingly, some might say. So, now I can officially brag to the world: On November 1st, Patty and I awoke VERY early after a LONG and exhausting trick or treating excursion the night before and walked in the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) 5K in support of her friend, Jack.

When Jack’s mom, Heidi sent the first e-mail about the walk, I had both Cole and Patty watch the quite moving and inspirational video that was attached. The video depicted the everyday life of Jack, who lives with juvenile diabetes and how he and his parents cope. I urge you to watch this raw, emotional video to gain a better understanding of how this disease effects the whole family. Patty and Cole now understand (as much as their 9 and 5 year old minds can process) the general disease state of diabetes. When the video ended, Patty stated simply that she wanted to walk in support of her friend, Jack.

We walked the 5K with approximately 187 supporters of Jack, or Jack’s Pack, as our quite esteemed group was called. It was an uplifting and wonderful day. Despite the intense heat, Patty forged on, taking many, many, many snack breaks, and water dumping over her head sessions to offset the challenging distance or approx 3 miles. She even had assistance from her coach/mommy, who could barely carry her, but did, several times throughout the walk. (I know, I’m a sucker.) She will undergo a rigorous training program beginning immediately, to prepare for next year’s event~ consuming raw eggs, rising at the crack of dawn to walk and walk and walk, building stamina.

Although her little, wobbly legs were weary that night, (and my back was aching from carrying her) Patty feels proud of this great accomplishment. And I am a proud mama. Please take a moment to watch this important and beautiful video that my friend, Heidi created. Thank you muchos!

2 comments:

mom said...

I just watched Jack's Video. Bawled my eyes out. I am so proud of Holly and you. You helped make a difference. What a great way to start earning values. You both rock..and Jack's parents rule.

Sus said...

Kudos to you and Patty both. (You carried her? You are a rock star and juvenile diabetes is BLESSED to have you on their side.) :)