Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Memories of Diarrhea and Fun!

Cole (Indiana Jones) Patty (Sharpay from High School Musical)

Happy Halloween!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Halloween! Not like wear knee highs with pumpkins and witches on them LOVE, just LOVE in the way that kids get dressed up in their new, sought after costumes, bursting with excitement to collect enough candy to open their own convenience store type of LOVE.
I have such vivid, joyous memories of Halloween, more than any other holiday possibly because there was never disappointment. What could be better than being with a gaggle of friends, gallivanting around at NIGHT, running from door to door, gathering delicious goodies! Seriously, think about it, as a kid, how fun was...


Thanksgiving:

Having to wear stiff, itchy clothing, usually new, not comfy.

Sitting at the more formal than usual table with THE WHOLE FAMILY and people you didn't really know, like 'em or not.

Threats that "...you'd better have your BEST behavior...OR ELSE..."

Being forced to EAT ALL YOUR DINNER!!! Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings if you didn't try the darned green bean casserole they made, ya know.


Hanukkah/Christmas/Kwanzaa (Did I get them all?)

Pressure of finding the perfect gift has sent everyone into an insane frenzy.

Wanting the EZ Bake Oven SOOOOO badly and knowing that I would NEVER get it because it's a "fire hazard"...What.Ever.

Wanting just to play with friends, but they were busy with family obligations too.


SO, this is why I feel Halloween REALLY ROCKS THE CASABA!!! My favorite memory of Halloween was when I let my younger sister, Marcy, borrow my all time FAVE dance recital costume. It was a white, satin leotard with a white, soft, tulle skirt with little silver embellishments on the bottom. Gorgeous. Elegant. I danced to Swan Lake, I think, in that costume. Marcy asked to PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP borrow it for Halloween. Ok. I agreed quite reluctantly.


As we were getting ready to Trick or Treat, Marcy didn't feel so well. As soon as those last famous words hung in the air, a rush of explosive, horrific diarrhea blasted all over the once pristine costume. But I forgave her...because it was Halloween.


Sorry Marcy I know you must be mortified, but I just had to share that story...it's funny now, right? Right...?


Anyhow, last night, Cole and Patty had a grand ol' time with their cousins trick or treating...so did Jerry and I reminiscing about our glory days of Halloween!


5 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm not a huge Halloween fan, but I manage to fake it for the kids. :) But I hadn't considered it as the only kid friendly holiday like that, so maybe next year I'll make more of an effort.

Paps said...

The way you remember things and I remember things..oye..Did I really put all those thoughts in your head. OHMIG-D..At least now we know why you don't cook..once again on me..No Easy Bake oven in our house..but that didn't mean no oven for you forever..You really do have the Holidays down ..The perfect gift..the pressure..I still do that. Has to be just right. Sorry, you seem to be more like me everyday. Not so bad..is it. Love reading your blog. Kisses

Anonymous said...

Thank you my darling big sister for letting the world know that I crapped my pants on Halloween. Just so you know...I did it on purpose! :)

Sus said...

Listen, I did not need to know that there was even the possibility of projectile diarrhea in kids old enough to trick or treat. Now I will live in fear until my children go to college and have to clean up their own potential projectile diarrhea.

And if you don't have a "wear knee highs with pumpkins and witches on them LOVE" for Halloween, I'm not sure if you REALlY love it after all. :)

Anonymous said...

Marcy covered up really well. I didn't notice a thing! :-)